Just Nostalgic for me.
Remind me of many of the homemade and traditional deli fares of my grammar’s magical on the dinner table.
And I guess I am not the only one.
The process of pickling eggs has been passed down through generations, making them a beloved culinary tradition for pickle enthusiasts.
If you’re a pickle lover, you’ll gonna love today’s article. It’s all about Pickled Eggs Recipe, how to make Grandma’s Pickled Eggs (The best-pickled egg recipes in the world to me ), and How long it takes for eggs to pickle.
First, how long do i need to pickle eggs?
Actually, it depends on you. You can eat pickled eggs right out of the jar just after you finish making them. But the truth is that pickled eggs get better with age. The longer you wait, the better pickling taste you will get.
If you make the egg pickle in the canning process, it’s better to wait for at least 2 weeks. This gives the brine and spices a chance to really permeate the eggs making for a memorable meal. On average, it takes 3 weeks for a pickled egg to be ready to eat.
And if you put the egg pickle in the refrigerator then you should wait about at least a week. So that the brine gets nice and full into those eggs and it makes them nice and tasty. The eggs will last for months under refrigeration.
Old fashioned Pickled Eggs Recipe
- Eggs (10 to 12 pieces)
- Pickling spice (2 tablespoons)
- Water (2 cups)
- Sea Salt/ Pickling Salt (1 tablespoon)
- Sugar (2 tablespoons)
- Garlic Cloves (3 cloves)
- Dried Chili Flakes (1 tablespoon)
- Black Peppercorns (1 tablespoon)
- Vinegar (2 cups)
● Allspice or pimento berries (5 pieces)
● Crushed red pepper (1 tablespoon)
● Bay leaves (3 pieces)
● Some Jalapenos
● Dill seeds
● Mustard seeds
Time to prepare-
40 to 50 minutes
1. First, take fresh eggs, place all of the eggs in a large pot, and cover them with cold water. Heat the pot over high heat until boiling and boil the eggs for 10-15 minutes.
2. Use a slotted spoon to give them a gentle stir once every few minutes. This will ensure even cooking.
3. After 10-15 minutes transfer the boiled eggs to a large bowl filled with ice-cold water.
4. Allow the eggs to cool down a bit and peel the eggs. Peel away a little of the shell, grab the membrane, and pull on this. The membrane will literally pull the shell away from the egg.
5. When the eggs are peeled completely, take a toothpick and run it through each egg. This will let the pickling juices inside the egg.
6. Now it’s time to make the brine. In a pot add 1 tablespoon of Salt, 2 tablespoons of Sugar, 1 tablespoon of Dried Chilli flakes, 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns, 2 tablespoons of pickling spices, 2 cups of water, and 2 cups of vinegar. I personally prefer a combination of 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Here you can use optional ingredients also.
7. Heat this all until boiling then reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Then remove it from the heat.
8. Pack a layer of eggs into a sterile large pickling jar and top this with some chopped garlic cloves, pack another layer of eggs on top of this. Continue this until the jar is almost full then pour the pickling brine over the eggs and make sure the eggs are covered completely.
9. Put the lid on the container and mix the liquid back and forth and turn the jar upside down. Store it in a cool place and let them sit for 24 hours.
10. The next day, transfer the pickling jar to the refrigerator and wait for at least 7-10 days. After a week you’ll have your tasty spicy delicious egg pickle ready to eat.
Nutritional Value of classic pickled egg-
Serving size= 1 egg [51g]
Still, spinning some questions on your head? Let me answer…..
Should pickled eggs sink or float?
Of course sink. Sinking eggs on brine means it’s fresh and safe to eat. If it floats, better throw them away.
How long does it take for hard-boiled eggs to pickle?
When it is hard-boiled, the egg takes 3-4 weeks to pickle properly with the brine.
Can you eat pickled eggs after 2 days? How long does it take for pickled eggs to be ready to eat?
Yes, you can. But better wait at least 1 week to get the flavor.
Tickle your Taste bud with some mouth-watering pickle-